Monday, December 6, 2010

Your Lives Aren't Small

          So the other day one of my friends asked me this question, "do you ever find it hard to follow 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 all the time"? (Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus). My answer to him was absolutely yes! I have been through my share of hard times, and looking back, I didn't always do the best job at being joyful and giving thanks through it all. It's so hard to be joyful ALL the time, or to give thanks in ALL circumstances. But last night when I was reading my bible (2 Cor.) I was reminded of a very important point: it's all in how we handle these situations, after all, we are Christ's representatives. God calls us to "stay at our post", and after we get out of the hard times, he calls up to open up our lives and life expansively! I love the passage from 2 Corinthians 6:3-10, the message version--

"People are watching us as we stay at our post, alertly, unswervingly...in hard times, tough times, bad times; when we're beaten up, jailed, and mobbed; working hard, working late, working without eating; with pure heart, clear head, steady hand; in gentleness, holiness, and honest love; when we're telling the truth, and when God's showing his power; when we're doing out best setting things right; when we're praised, and when we're blamed; slandered, and honored; true to our word, though distrusted; ignored by the world, but recognized by God; terrifically alive, though rumored to be dead; beaten within an inch of our lives, but refusing to die; immersed in tears, yet always filled with deep joy; living on handouts, yet enriching many; having nothing, having it all."

          God knows the hard times we're going through; God knows everything. We weren't meant to go through it alone. These times are here to make us grow. God's not the one holding us back, we are. I'm connecting a lot right now with the church of Corinth, and when Paul addresses them in 2 Corinthians 6:11-13 it feels like he's addressing me...
"I long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. We didn't fence you in. The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren't small, but you're living them in a small way. I'm speaking as plainly as I can and with great affection. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!"
          I challenge you to share with someone the struggles you are going through. Live openly and bless someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment